Saturday, October 3, 2009

I live a neat, tidy lie.

Greetings friends. That's what my cooperating teacher at the Jewish preschool calls our students. I think it's pretty weird.

Anyway, something really disgusting happened this week and I had to share it. Yes, grosser than eating bugs in a falafel sandwich. Lauren and I made pasta with shrimp for dinner about a week ago. Due to our teensy-tiny kitchen, many times after we wash a pot or pan, it will sit out on the stove top. It's clean, just not put away.

A few nights ago, we made dinner again. That same pot was sitting there, with its lid on. We stood, staring at the pot. The conversation went something like this:

Lauren: It has to be clean right?
Me: I don't remember washing it.
Lauren: Met neither. But it's been a week.
Me: We probably washed it.

Guess what. We didn't wash it. It was full of hairy mold. That I scooped out while wearing a protective plastic bag over my hand while Lauren screamed. And let me tell you, it was oddly warm, as if it had created its very own ecosystem.

Sadly this isn't the first time something like this has happened. When we lived on Avenue B, a ziploc bag of liquified mold was found on our metal storage cart next to the fridge. For almost an hour, we thought it was bread that had molded for so long that it fermented into beer. It was the most exciting day until we figured out that it was actually a bag of rotten veggies.

Funny thing is, Lauren and I really pride ourselves on how neat and clean we like to be. But there's just too much evidence to suggest otherwise. At least once a week we find something completely heinous in the fridge. See the evidence of our latest discovery below:

4 comments:

  1. Too bad Osama didn't find his way into that pot....you might have finally ridden yourself of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i am crying right now from laughing so hard. i tried to read that to mathieu and it took me like 30 minutes because i literally couldnt finish a sentence without cracking up. i miss you guys so much and it would have been truely awesome if we had made our own beer senior year!

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome. but i'm sure it was quality mold in this pot because you and lauren make delicious food. next topic, catching up on your blog-- i had so many posts to read and guess what: it made me sad (only because i miss you so much) and your blog is so nice to read and written in just your voice that it was allllmost like hearing you talk, and then i realized we're REAL far apart and it's just the interenet. thanks for posting even with your busy "sch", it makes me happy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. GUESS WHAT I'VE NEVER FOUND IN ANY OF MY APTS?!?! POTS AND BAGS FILLED WITH MOLD!! MUHAHAHA!

    It's realy BECAUSE you are so neat and tidy that extra gross things happen to you. You tempt the Gods of Mess and they are vengeful and mean gods. I hope you learned your lesson.

    ReplyDelete