Monday, October 19, 2009

sugar and spice and crazy

Good day everyone. I'm home today feeling under the weather, but I can't sleep because a construction crew is jack-hammering outside my building. It makes me want to throw heavy objects out my window, but today I don't have the energy for that kind of psychotic behavior . So I'll write to you about my recent psychotic break. Oh yes, I went full on crazy last week, and I think I'm ready to share with the group.

Let me first explain. My Thursdays are jam packed, and last Thursday was especially busy. I had to meet a class on the east side (which is far!) at 8:30 am, then go to the public school where I observe from 12-3 which is all the way back on the west side, have class at that school until 4:30, and then run to campus for a class from 5-6:30. Somehow I had to find a way to eat something and stay hydrated.

I had about ten minutes to grab a slice of pizza and stop back at my apartment after my morning class. I speed walked, slice in hand, and as I ascended the stairs in my building, I heard a persistent high pitched beeping sound. Because my life is a joke, I assumed it was coming from my apartment, and I was right.

I set my pizza down and decided since I had such limited time, I would ignore the beeping, which I thought was coming from our carbon monoxide detector (I know, not a great idea, but I had to prioritize and pizza won). Soon the beeping intensified to a mind numbing shrill screech that I couldn't stand any longer. I dragged a chair out of the kitchen, grabbed the alarm off the wall and starting removing batteries, throwing them on the floor below me. The beeping persisted. Infuriated, I whipped it into the kitchen. Still it beeped. At this point I was outraged and could not wrap my overly-exhausted brain around the fact that it seemed to have a mind of its own, continuing on with no power source. I started to cry a little, frustration (and crazy) getting the best of me.

Then, I spotted our smoke detector, which had been removed from the kitchen because every time we used the oven it would beep. There was a battery in it that I thought was dead for months. I lunged for it. Ripped the battery out. The beeping ceased. I threw it on the floor just for good measure, laughing like a crazy person.

Then I left. I felt insane as I walked to school, realizing that I just flipped out on an inanimate object, cried a little, and then laughed madly all in the span of five minutes. Worse yet, I hadn't cleaned any of it up. The carbon monoxide detector was definitely still on the kitchen floor. The batteries were all over the floor of the living room, along with the kitchen chair. I thought about what Lauren might think when she came home from work to find things in such disarray. In the end, I have decided to ask for a straight jacket, such as the one pictured below, for Christmas this year. I will make that face whenever I wear it.

5 comments:

  1. I have to live with her. YIKES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a privilege, and you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was just telling Mathieu that we really should invest in a carbon monoxide detector....this story just changed my mind :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHA omg I miss you so hard, my psychotic dino lover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh courtney...always destroying objects meant to keep us alive...

    ReplyDelete