Saturday, September 26, 2009

Grad school: 1, Courtney: 0

It's only been 2 weeks, and grad school is kicking my ass. Here is a listing of things going on in my life, dumb stuff I've done, lessons learned, etc.:

1. It's Saturday night and I'm home in my pjs, doing some of the hundreds of pages of reading for next week. Farewell social life, see you in December.

2. Also, I spent all day in a required drug/alcohol/sexual abuse seminar. Informative, but extremely depressing. Also, it's SATURDAY.

3. The topper: I've been with the rugrats for a grand total of 9 hours, and my body is already breaking down. I'm sniffly, exhausted, and achy. This does not bode well for the rest of my semester.

4. Now, I should tell you the good things. Yes, there are good things! Although my school seems fixated on multiculturalism (apparently they think we're all a bunch of homophobic bigots), my classes are generally great. I'm learning a lot and find the readings engaging, despite the fact that I feel overwhelmed by it. And student teaching is a blast. Kids are awesome.

5. In the interest of full disclosure, on my first day of student teaching I almost killed a child. Well, it wasn't quite that dramatic, but she fell off a chair while sitting right next to me, and I only caught her after she slammed her face into the table.

6. The thing I learned about 2 year olds this week: they're really adventurous, but lack motor coordination. So they think they can do stuff, when really they can just flail about.

7. I fell up the steps the other night. I'm talking full on, sprawling across the steps between the 2nd and 3rd floors of my building. It was so loud that when I opened the door to my apartment, Lauren was sitting on the couch cracking up, because she heard the commotion and just knew it was me. The irony is not lost on me: I am not unlike an uncoordinated 2 year old.

8. Update: mums are thriving, as is Osama. I've lost all interest in killing him.

9. I found a small dead bug in my falafel today, and kept eating it until I found another. I'm beginning to question my judgment.

Well, that about sums up my life. The photo doesn't have to do with anything in this post, but a while ago, our can opener broke and we used one of those pointy-poky kinds to pry open cans. This was the result which I found awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Put a candle in that can (or some other form of lighting) and you've got yourself a fine Holloween decoration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey! You are so cute. As for the dead bug in your food, I think you are much too thin, so my vote is to just keep ingesting those protein-filled little snacks!
    Momma will buy Baby a new can-opener, if needed. You are much too busy to be poking holes in cans. I hope those cans contain some PROTEIN!

    ReplyDelete